Friday, November 29, 2013

Shakespearean Sonnet

Siblings


Two knights approach, with lance in hand on steed,
Intent to strike, disarm their foe for fee.
Display away, they're not supposed to bleed,
It's all for fun; such is my bro and me.
A quite complex connection that we share,
The days of laughter, joy and play abound,
A loving jibe, a joking taunt, with care
Is said before we wrestle on the ground.
Then one wrong word, and kinship disappears.
Though fists will stop, the tongue will be the sword.
It escalates, and wrath becomes sad tears,
How quick the jump from fondness to discord!
      But in the end, he's still my friend and bro.
      Him I'd defend, with claws exten'd, fo' sho'. 

3 comments:

  1. SO GOOD. Madi. I love this so muchhhh!! hahaha especially the ending rhyme. It's ma fave. haha embodies u guys so well, and your amazing imagery and fluent but eloquent diction, ahh! Too amazing! I can't handle!! haha It's very endearing too :) makes me smile to know the two of u still love each other at the end of the day. And I can definitely relate. Thanks for sharing dis lovely sonnet wif us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the way you mixed the eloquent old timey language with modern slang! They balance each other out so well in the poem and helps show the complexity of your relationship with your brother. Great job, Madi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Very tongue-in-cheek ending Madison. I think the iambic pentameter is close to perfect here-- great application of Shakespeare's rhythm! I also enjoyed how the metaphor of the knights evolved throughout the poem; in the first quatrain you set up the jousting match, but then clarified it was just for fun. But then in the third quatrain, you acknowledged sometimes wounds ARE made-- "the tongue will be the sword." Lots of internal rhyme as well which further lightened the tone and bounced your words along. Great. :)

    15/15

    ReplyDelete