Monday, January 20, 2014

Photo Journal Walk


So you'll take pictures of this, so that in your blog you can write something really insightful and reflective about what God revealed to you...

Displaying photo 1.JPGYeah, I was already planning what my big revelation was going to be on my walk as I strolled out the door. Right when I realized what I was doing I mentally slapped myself. I'm always so calculating and controlled, self-reliant and in my own head. Well, that was not the plan for this assignment. The plan was to be honest and exposed, and let the thoughts flow naturally and unbridled.
 Sooo... yeah. Here we go. 

The first thing that hit me is how gloriously blue the sky was. While this pic may seem empty, to me it was perfection: a gorgeous, cloudless, flawless, azure blue spanning the horizon. The cold, crisp air cleared my head. What was I thinking? God is GOOD. I couldn't help but smile at how fortunate I was, just for such an ordinary, mundane occurrence as clear weather. It certainly nudged me into the proper mind-space for the trip, and I was very grateful.

Displaying photo 2.JPGMy mind shifts back to the contemplations that had originally stolen my focus. Why did I want to plan this whole journey out? Why am I always like that? I cling to this facade, wanting the stereotypical, Christian answer that I'm sure to see on the other blogs. It'd be a safe answer; I don't want to stand out, I don't want to be exposed like Myers wants on the internet for my classmates to see. Not as I am right now, anyways. Every thought that sneaks into my head about my future horrifies me, consumes me, and I despise that uncertainty. Then I keep seeing these signs: NO TRESPASSING. By the time I snap this picture it's literally the third one I've ran into. Normally something I'd ignore, it drew my attention today. There will be these places, so many doors that will be opened to me once I escape from my sheltered parental bubble. Walking right in will be so easy, but as a Christian I have to say no. I am not allowed into those zones, no matter how alluring they are. Today, these signs were for me, warning me to stay out of these dark places once I'm free; and I desperately want to listen. These thoughts grip me.. for most of my walk, actually. I wonder if I'll be strong, if I can make God proud to call me His child. 
Displaying photo 3.JPG

Then I start snapping more of the cliches. A little budding flower... blooming into the next phase of its existence. What do you know, it's relateable to me as I am a graduating senior soon to be heading off to my next phase at university. I generally am not fond of such simple, typical metaphors regurgitated for situations such as this, but what can I say? It's where my mind unfortunately went, and that's what you greazy hobos* are gonna get! I don't know, this is all I can seem to consider these days in my spare time. MY FUTURE. I'm drowning in expectations for myself, a desire to make my mark on this planet. However, I need to remember that this is just the first page of my next chapter. I think about how my dad always says, "Whatever Victoria, Madison, and Roque put their minds to, they can accomplish. They are just those sort of people." Of course these could just be the usual musings of a proud, loving, supportive father, but I want to believe them anyways. The problem is, I don't have a drive that pushes me towards any one career or life path. I know, I'm in the same boat as many other students my age, but I just can't stand it. Having nothing to specifically work for is driving me insane! I want peace.. for a few minutes I even begged God for it. Do I feel like I got a response? Not really, no. But then again I never do, so no surprise there. After this walk I'm still just as stressed out and resigned to my fate as ever. Whoopee. 

Okay, yeah, so that was about the extent of the things I thought about. I'm not really sure I accomplished anything in particular on this walk, it mostly just provided an opportunity for me to machinate on the things that already consume me on a daily basis. I hate that this sounds so dull and pessimistic, but I didn't want to pretend like this was some great, eye-opening experience for me. It did feel really nice to get out and stretch my legs, and I loved inhaling the sharp, icy air; that was wonderful. Anyway, here are a couple other pictures I took that tickled my fancy. Enjoy~


Displaying photo 3.JPG
A snap of the mural I used to judge (yes, I judged a wall), but
have now come to love and anticipate seeing every time
I go by. It's funny how stuff can grow on you like that. 
Displaying photo 2.JPG
Leave it to Burien to have litter consisting
of bejeweled alcohol. Beautiful.. I laughed, anyways. 
Displaying photo 1.JPG
I just love that contrast. God is such an
artist, it just blows my mind. 
Displaying photo 4.JPG
The sun was just heavenly, and who doesn't appreciate
a good nature scene? I just adore rays of sunlight like this,
flaring through the greenery. You can't help but
contemplate God's majesty. 
Displaying photo 5.JPG
I just thought this was really great. I can just picture some ill-meaning person defiling the freshly laid
concrete with their initials. I also love the shoe prints, imagining the startled person who ruined their
favorite pair as they wandered through here thinking the concrete was dry. These are real, human moments.
Real people with real lives. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the fact that there are 7 billion other people on this planet with 7 billion different lives being experienced. My tiny perspective is so narrow.  Mind blown. 

And that is all! Happy Monday everyone! 



*greazy hobo is a term of endearment in the Madicabulary, so if you were offended by such utterances, clearly you are not my friend xP Have a nice day. 






        

5 comments:

  1. Madi. I love you. Thank you for being honest and telling us how it is. I'm sure all of us feel the same way at times if not all the time. You know how much you mean to me and I hope God will speak up soon. Thanks for this solemn but very enjoyable reflection. Thanks for being you and keep seeking who you are in Christ. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. And oh I was gonna ask if you could reload your pictures... Because I can't see them :( and I want to. haha kthanksbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird... I can see them, why can't you? >.<

      Delete
  3. I'm really glad that someone else was having some of the same issues that I was having with this walk. I don't know why we both have to deal with that stubbornness in ourselves. But, I love you Madi, and I actually think that you actually achieved something out of this reflection even though it was hard for you like it was for me. I'm glad that you were honest also, because I was kind of dreading to share my honesty. Loveeee you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the comment you posted on that last picture Madison. Appreciate the honesty you voiced with this assignment-- both embracing cliches, and spurning them; voicing faith and doubt simultaneously.

    Where are things now for you? How are your moments?
    15/15

    ReplyDelete